Wednesday, May 11, 2011

ms green interview

About a month ago Emily Green moved her studio into the Harvest Workroom!
It is so lovely coming to work and seeing her brooches all lined up after being coated in resin or hundreds of colourful Fimo beads being made!

Emily is teaching a brooch making workshop here at the workroom, it starts tomorrow night, I think there are just a few spots left if you're keen.
I decided to ask Emily to do an interview for a chance to get to know her a bit better....


For those people who don't know you tell us about what you make and how did you get started?

I make brightly coloured fractured geometric brooches and necklaces threaded with handmade polymer clay beads. I have also started doing a few prints of my artworks – things like an oversized watercolour of a decaying rose and a linear screenprint of braided hair.
I guess I have always been making. My interest in materials like polymer clay started when I was about 7 when I would make delights like oversized dog faces to hang from my sleepers! Thankfully I’ve managed to refine my skills and taste a little since then! I started making my jewellery a bit more seriously in 2010 after I resigned from my full-time teaching job and started studying Textile Design part-time. Best decision I ever made!

Tell us 3 things about yourself?

I am originally from Perth and moved to Melbourne in 2005. My favourite colours are acid yellow and mustard.
I love gouache.

What is in store for Emily Green the brand in 2011?

Hopefully some more design markets and some new stockists throughout Australia (or perhaps internationally?!). Some new designs and colour combinations for my brooches and necklaces and hopefully some screen-printed or digitally printed geometric scarves or tights or socks. I would also love to learn to work with silver to expand my range further.

What or who inspires your work?

Melbourne! There are so many amazing artists, designers, caf├ęs, shops and outfits in Melbourne that it is impossible not to be inspired everywhere you go! I am constantly taking photographs of interesting patterns or colour combinations to use as starting points for my work. I am also inspired by the work of artists and designers such as Wayne Thiebaud, Sonia Delaunay, Gemma Smith, David Band, Annie Larson and Beci Orpin who are also big on colour and shape.


Thanks for your time Emily. For more info you can check out Emily's blog and shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.